How to automatically import subscribers from third-parties
If you're using a third-party service to manage your email list, like MailChimp or ConvertKit, and want to automatically send new subscribers to ReferralHero without manually importing a CSV file every few days, you can use our Zapier integration to automate the process.
Here's how it works in a nutshell:
- Person A signs up to your third-party service (e.g. MailChimp)
- Person A is automatically added to your ReferralHero campaign
- Person A's referral link is sent back to the third-party service so that it can be used there
Step by step instructions
In our example, we'll look at a setup using MailChimp but the same instructions apply for any third-party.
Go to this page and click on the "Start using ReferralHero now" button. In the next page click "Accept invite & Build a Zap".
Create a new Zap. Choose MailChimp as integration and "New Subscriber" as trigger.
If you haven't yet, connect your MailChimp account.
Select which of your MailChimp Audiences you want to use and pull some samples data.
Now you need to add an action. The action will obviously be ReferralHero. Search "ReferralHero" in the search bar.
As action choose "Add subscriber".
If you haven't yet, connect your ReferralHero account.
In the next page, you must enter some mandatory data:
- Select which ReferralHero campaign you want to subscribe your subscribers to (simply click on the arrow and Zapier will automatically pull your ReferralHero campaigns)
- Select the email address of the subscriber by clicking on the icon on the right and selecting the attribute "email"
- Enter the link to create the referral link in the "Referral URL" field. E.g: if you want the referral link to point to https://mywebsite.com, then enter https://mywebsite.com
There are other optional fields, like Name and Extra field that you can use to send extra information. You can read more about optional parameters here. One optional parameter that you might want to send, however, is the "Double opt-in" one. By default, ReferralHero will send a confirmation email to each subscriber, however in your case it's very likely that you have already verified their email address. To disable the confirmation email, set the "Double Opt-in" field to No
Test your integration by sending the data of the sample subscriber to ReferralHero. If everything works well, you should see the sampe user in your ReferralHero's dashboard (unless you haven't disabled the double opt-in, in which case you must first confirm their email address).
This is enough to make sure that your MailChimp subscribers are automatically added to your ReferralHero account. In many occasions, you will want to send the referral link generated by ReferralHero back to MailChimp so that you can use the referral link in your emails.
You can do that by simply following the instructions on this page.